Hello dear students,
Today we are going to navigate on the use of dictionaries.
There are different ways to access a dictionary. It can be through the hardcover copy, an online dictionary or an app downloaded to a smartphone.
We will cover some of the most important features of a dictionary to successfully use them in the classroom.
We use a dictionary when we need to know:
– How to spell a word
– What a word means
– How to choose appropriate definition
– How to say a word: pronunciation and accent marks
– What part of the speech a word is
– How many syllables are in a word
– Irregular forms of a word
– Whether or not to capitalize a word
– How to abbreviate a word
– Meaning of prefixes and suffixes for a word
– How to form derivative of a word
– The usage label of a word
– To compare the word with a native language equivalent
– How to construct a sentence with the word
Let`s look into a sentence below:
The new employee sent an enthusiastic letter.
A general search
A Thesaurus search