Combination of two or more words.
Compound nouns can be written in three different ways.
|A Single word:||hairspray||courtroom||microwave||bedroom|
|Two words:||dental floss||ice cream||swimming pool||bus stop|
|full moon||monthly ticket||post office||real estate|
Compound nouns can be formed with two nouns. Examples:
- Don`t forget to put your toothbrush back in the drawer.
- David bought a new motorcycle.
Compound nouns can be formed with an adjective and a noun. Examples:
- When is the next full moon?
- My computer has a new software.
Compound nouns can be made with a verb and a noun. Examples:
- We need a new washing machine.
- Start thinking about your driving license. You are 16 now!
Compound nouns can be made with a noun and a verb. Examples:
- She has an old hairstyle.
- Some people love watching the sunrise at the beach.
Compound nouns can be made with a verb and a preposition. Examples:
- Checkout is at noon.
- Please call the doctor`s office to schedule your check-up.
Compound nouns can be made with a noun and a prepositional phrase:
- My mother-in-law is the kindest person I know.
Compound nouns can be made with a preposition and a noun:
- Do you believe in past lives?
- This city is vibrant, so it’s hard to believe it has a thriving criminal underworld.