One kind of Definition paragraph is when we talk about how people celebrate their special holidays and festivities.
I asked my students to write about one special holiday they celebrate with their family and friends.
A) Talk about different holidays from your country.
B) Choose one holiday from your country or culture that you would like your classmates to know more about.
C) Answer the questions below to organize the information you need to define the holiday.
1. What is the name of the holiday?
2. What does it mean? (use a dictionary or search for the historic definition)
3. What is your own definition? Add points* Say what this holiday is about.
4. What is this holiday not about? (optional)
5. Why is it celebrated?
6. Where does it take place?
7. When is it celebrated?
8. Who celebrates it?
9. How do they celebrate it? Write examples.
10. Do they wear any special outfit? What do people wear on that day?
11. Is there any traditional food? Special decoration?
12. When did it start? Is there any difference from today`s celebration?
13. How important/unique/special is this holiday to your country?
Any additional information?
A form of illustration! I asked students to add a photo that demonstrate how the holiday is celebrated in their country. Here are some examples from the student`s writing.